Tuesday, October 23, 2007

RUGBY!!!

I've spent the last 2 days trying and trying to upload video of the footage I took after South Africa won the Rugby World Cup on Saturday, but my internet is just too darn slow. Oh well.

But Anyway, in case anyone hasn't heard SOUTH AFRICA RULES THE RUGBY UNIVERSE. I for sure did not know anything about rubgy until recently, but it's super popular. The national team is called The Springoks and Springbok merch is everywhere. The World Cup started in the beginning of September so it's been going on for a while, and the final match was last Saturday the 20th against England. I watched it at a Bar close to where I live and it was super intense. The best part was after SA won watching everyyonnneeee in Cape Town loose their minds. A mini riot/celebration broke out down the road from my house, it literally stopped traffic. The only thing I could compare it to would be that must have been what Boston was like after the Sox won in '04, except more nuts. At one point, a beer truck tried to drive through the crowd and people were ripping the sides off of the truck trying to get the the cases. In all seriousness, one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life, and it was awesome to a city that's so divided become so unified, even if it was for a night.

Heres some pictures, sorry for the blurriness it was a bit hectic:




The beginning of the Castle Lager truck fiasco



My roomies with random South African. I think this guy picked me up too



Happy mob.




AHAHAHAAH. Cape Town, I will miss you.

No comments: